Sunday 29 January 2017

Next steps

          As I mentioned previously I was going to start off with a gentle walk to start to regain my fitness and sense of adventure, this was put off by the warning of a tidal surge and bad weather, however this weekend the weather didn`t look too bad and there was no warning of any tidal surges so I decided to put my delayed plan into action.

today`s equipment

as today`s walk was going to be longer than the previous one I had to take a few more bits and pieces with me.


Asolo Piuma mid boots
Seal Skins waterproof socks
hat and gloves (stored in the yellow dry sack)
spare fleece (stored in the red sack)
water bottle
2 eat natural bars
waterproof trouser and jacket
Osprey flare backpack


          I caught the 9.04 train to Wrabness, it was only a 5 minute train ride so I didn`t really have time to get comfortable, I crossed the tracks and headed down to the foreshore and the Essex way, this would be the route I would be following for today, looking at the map revealed that I had no more than 8 Kilometers to walk and a reasonable pace would see me back home in about 2 hours, I have followed this path before several times and knew what to expect, the first part of this walk followed the shore line very closely and was only barely above sea level.

as you can see being this close to an estuary is not really conclusive to a good day if there`s a tidal surge, 
          after a while the path turns in land and uphill, this being a steady climb along a fairly well maintained track was conquered in no time. Of course Wrabness being its own Parish has its own church, this one is slightly unusual in that it has no tower, this is because it collapsed in the seventeenth century, the bell was moved "temporarily" moved to a bell cage in the grounds 

shortly after this the way turns back into fields and towards the coast, this part of the path follows boundaries between two fields and creates an avenue of trees almost like a hidden path, I have actually walked this part at night and there is a slightly creepy feeling as your not really sure when the avenue is going to end


at the end of this path is a nature reserve right on the edge of estuary which brought the path even closer to the river, fortunately this stretch isn`t very long and I soon turned back inland. Of course being January meant that the fields were little more than mud and I`d soon built up a good layer of the stuff on my boots, as I reached the road into Bradfield my mind started telling me to quit and that it was too hard, I managed to ignore it, the next half kilometer or so was following sealed roads so the going was good and I managed to get rid of most of field off my boots, however it wasn`t long before I was back in the fields and the mud started gathering on the bottom of my boots again

once again my mind started telling me that it was too hard and that I should just give up, at which point this quote came to mind.

Image result for tell the negative committee that meets inside your head

I`d made it 6 kilometers why couldn`t I make it the next 2? anyway with my mind dealt with I carried on, the way got steadily easier as i got further away from the river, I started reflecting on the walk and how much I had actually enjoyed it, ok it was cold and the wind was high but I was beginning to feel that call again, 2 hours in the "wilderness" and I could feel my old self coming back, then in the distance I saw the wood that marked the end of the trail for me.

yes at this point I was tired and suffering sore feet but I knew it was all for a good cause. 
with boots drying and equipment put away I turned my attention to the next thing I could do, waiting for my attention was a leaflet from St Helena`s hospice detailing a number of charity walks coming up this year.....

total distance walked: 8km
total time: 2 (and a bit) hours
number of people with me: 0





No comments:

Post a Comment