Wednesday 1 February 2017

Onwards and upwards

with no work today I decided that I would try yet another activity that I haven`t done in a while, rock climbing, well to be more honest, indoor wall climbing as I no longer have a climbing partner to go with.

today`s equipment 



rock climbing shoes (evolv bandits, for those of you who like knowing these things)
liquid chalk
generic action camera (not a go pro)
water bottle 
schmoolz indoor training ice axe things....

at one time before the depression hit hard I would go to this climbing wall regularly usually twice a week, for some people this isn`t enough and they would be right, but the nearest wall is 25 miles away from where I live so I have to balance getting there and entrance fee with everything else I have to pay for.
The wall itself is in Stowmarket leisure centre or to give it its correct name the Mid Suffolk leisure centre, it consist of both a bouldering room, which is where I was for the whole session.

as with most climbing walls there was a climbing grade sheet by the door to tell you what colour hold corresponds with which grade.

before the depression hit I was between the grades of V1 and V2 which is still low in the grade system but I prefer climbing not bouldering. my intention today was to at least complete some of the brown grade climbs , the VB climbs, I wasn`t going to push myself too far and become dejected because I couldn`t do the "higher" grade climbs,
first of all though I would warm up, the good thing with this climbing wall is immediately to the left of the entrance is the lowest grade climb and is usually the climb that most people warm up on, its usually no harder than climbing up a step ladder and today was no exception.


as I looked around the wall more and more brown route started showing themselves to me, I made my mind up, I had to conquer them all, I counted about 12 in all, certainly a doable amount and all at the lowest grade,


I have only filmed myself going up three of them as I didn`t want to take up too much memory on the SD card and I promise my feet were off the ground at the start of every climb.



the more I went round the wall and climbed the routes the more I found the old skills coming back to me, I still don`t have the strength or flexibility to do the harder climbs but I know it will come back.


before I left I did have a go at one of the harder climbs, a V1, I didn`t make it but I was surprised at just how far I got before I fell off, this bodes well for future climbs.

total climbs completed: 12 (18 including warm ups and the one V1)
total time: 45 mins ish
number of people who joined me: 0


No comments:

Post a Comment